Work – Life – Balance
We dreamed about it?
We look at our calendars and try and sort things out but in the end – hustlers like you and me cannot ever seem to figure it out. Here’s what I know from being in some sort of business over the past 10 years is that there is never balance. Balance is this weird magical fairy word made up for people who have normal jobs and can shut down when the clock hits 5. Now I am not hating by any means, to be honest I rarely meet anyone these days that has that “luxury” from their career. Sometimes to be honest I WISH I could just work a normal job that I loved go home and always have a weekend with my family. BUT then I remember I’m not so awesome with authority – I love SUPER long weekends if I can, I prefer to work in my PJs and hell I don’t really enjoy having to do my hair every day.
So what do we as entrepreneurs – solopreneurs – mompreneurs – business owners – MLMers – its almost in our DNA to work harder and longer hours than we ever did at our day jobs. We are willing to work around the clock, go all in, invest everything for the goal of More free time, endless cash flow, peace of mind, family time, ownership or the love of the game.
What I have learned over the years is simple. More money does not always = more free time. And sometimes we can get so caught up with work and sacrifice we miss a lot of the important things we are working so hard for or we sacrifice relationships, our health or family time to work.
Let me share this with you Ryan and I have done this SO much over the past 7 years together that you might get a little sick at how excited we were this summer just to take a weekend and go camping with our family and shut off the cell phone. We had not enjoyed a long weekend in years but we have not had a alarm clock in over 5 years. There is a trade-off.
The question is: Does it have to be so All or nothing?
The answer is NO!
At the middle of 2014 we moved to London and by 2015 we had decided to make some major business changes. Because of a zillion reasons but most importantly
1. We were not happy.
2. We didn’t have a life. Or at least we were choosing not to have a life and only work.
Choices – yes – but sometimes you know you can feel pressured into choices.
We decided that 2015 would be the year of The Johnsons! Heck Yes! We packed up and moved back to Canada, then Mexico for 2 months, back to Canada and here I’m writing this to you in Hawaii where we are spending 17 days.
Here are 10 Ways to make you feel like you have more balance as a Entrepreneur
1. We recognized there will never be balance – but it was on our terms how this played out. If we have a event or holiday we are invited to we work that much harder so that at that event we are not always on the phone or stressing something needs to be completed. Working until the late night is totally okay with us in order to sleep in and go to the gym.
2. We choose to be present – the worst thing Ryan and I did to our relationships was that we always put our work in front of our family or friends. Example we would be at an event or in a conversation but we would leave over and over to take calls, or always on our phone. We were there but not really – we might of well just stayed home.
3. We start a check list of importance and priority. Making sure the most profitable or necessary items to business were completed first.
4. We started to delegate – I know this is so hard – allowing someone else to help you on your baby can be terrifying but I can tell you I am in the process of hiring a outside source to just handle mundane things like organizing my emails, scheduling my calendar, making sure my blogs get to all social sites after I write them – in the end it saves time and money. This way we can spend more time doing what we love vs a lot of time wasted on things other people are just better at. Ill update you in a few months on how this goes – but I’m excited about it.
5. Hiring professionals – yes I know I just posted about delegation but I wanted to make sure this one was separate because you are not going to outsource a coach or business mentor. Coaches and mentors can be your best investment
6. We are creating auto ships – to bring in consistent monthly income.
7. We put our health first – studies show that people who are active and healthy are more productive. We increased our activity time and decreased our alcohol time.
8. We make time for our family and each other. Dinners, lunches, weekend. Specifically non work. Our relationships are better for this and our memories are too.
9. We stopped making our business dependant on US and only us.
10. We choose when we respond to emails or phone calls – we choose not to be up all night on facebook with our clients or phone calls at insane hours. We choose general business hours.
To all my hustlers out there – we get you – and we get sacrifice for the greater good. But don’t forget about your Grandma, your partner or kids. Its not worth it to miss that much. Be more efficient with your time and you will be more productive and have greater quality of life.
Let me know if you have anything to help with more “balance” or how you enjoyed the blog in the comments below.
As always if you would like to work with Ryan and I on personal coaching or trading just pop us a email at email@example.com we would love to work with you. Stay up dated: