Throughout my years of personal growth and becoming a full-time successful entrepreneur I have unfortunately had the displeasure of meeting way to many “dream stealer’s” as far as I am concerned.
I remember at the beginning of grade 10, my English Lit professor had us do a goal setting exercise. Before we started, she made sure to emphasize not to write down anything silly like being the next Michael Jordan. Now keep in mind this was well before I made up my mind to become an entrepreneur. But still in my head I was like “what the fuck”? Who is she to determine what I can accomplish. Now I’m not 6’6 and although I was a decent basketball player I definitely wasn’t heading to the NBA. But I saw her phrase more as a metaphor. Who’s right is it to tell me I couldn’t be the Michael Jordan in my specific area of interest. If only people realized how cemented in our brains these seemingly harmless words are – hell im past 30 and I still remember it like it was yesterday.
When we are young we dream without limitations. If you’re like me I had a picture of a Lamborghini Countache (now I feel old), a mansion by the ocean and some other really cool stuff. I even wanted to be the CEO of a Bank. I did not have a Toyota Camry and a 1400 square ft. house with a two car garage with a white picket fence. I think most of us our the same. Then We stumble across people like my literature teacher . In your case it may be your parents, friends, co-workers……. The list goes on and on. People that try and get you to think reasonable. It’s because they fell for the same line of crap. Once upon a time they dreamt big and had people over-and-over tell them that their dreams aren’t realistic and that their dreams need to fit into this realistic box. And their dreams died a slow and painful death.
It’s a vicious cycle. It reminds me of a quote from person growth guru Les Brown, “The graveyard is the richest place on earth, because it is here that you will find all the hopes and dreams that were never fulfilled, the books that were never written, the songs that were never sung, the inventions that were never shared, the cures that were never discovered, all because someone was too afraid to take that first step, keep with the problem, or determined to carry out their dream.”
Now we know what the problem is…..how do we solve it.
Here are our top tips for Living Unchained from the Dream Stealer’s (I asked Kristen to help out #bosslady #businesspartnerhip)
- The first thing is you have to incubate yourself from the “dream-stealers”. This can be tough if it’s people like your family that are squashing your dreams and telling you that you can’t achieve something. But I’ll be honest with you, if you want to create an amazing life of abundance and impact you have to start spending more time people that have the lifestyle you want to create or at least further down the path. If you have to break up with your mom or dad, sister or brother, best friend for a while do so until they understand where you’re headed and are supportive.
- Surround yourself with DOers and Dreamers. These are the kinds of people that will support you and help you stretch yourself to become the person you need to become to achieve the things you want. Since you become the average of the five people you spend most of your time with….be very picky. This doesn’t have to be static either. Your circle expands, mentors change. The critical component is the DOer part.
- Calling the most successful person you know and seeing if they’re free for coffee. Get around they’re energy. Find out what they’re most excited about and what projects they’re working on. You’ll find that their energy is contagious and raises your own energy in the process and you leave feeling invigorated and dreaming again. Believe me, we all need this on a regular basis.
- Get a business or life coach– someone who is going to kicks your butt to the next level that does not work in your business.
- Find a partner/spouse who has the same vision. If your girl/man is a drag and always whining that you’re reading too much or want to go learn at a conference – you need to get real. The person you are spending the most time with – or the rest of your life with better be on the same path or you life will be miserable and a constant battle. You need that person to be there when shit gets real and the money isn’t flowing to support you and kick your butt out the door to go make a sale not to play the blame game. Because in business things always get real and few times at least. The ups and the downs only the strong survive make sure that your first lady or man is QUALITY.
- Set Quantitative Goals with Deadlines – a goal with our a date and an action plan is a wish.
- Bury yourself in personal growth and positive vibes – be it audio, reading, networking groups, videos. Treat it like a university of life – the stuff you do not learn in school.
- Let failure go – we all have ups and downs, let the failures go and get your ass backup and start again or try something new.
- If you need get a therapist or attend a personal growth seminar – go break through that shit that is causing you to hit road blocks or repeat patterns of failure. You never know what one person said 30 years ago that is still causing you grief in your life today. No therapist – head to a Tony Robbins Event – if you’re religious to Dani Johnson. A PSI event all can help break down these barriers.
There you have it – simple steps you can take today to start living unchained.
Looking for a coach – would you like a honest kick in the ass drop us a email at firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a call – we may be the perfect fit to help with our journey.
Stay connect with us: